The tense in as if clause confuses me terribly. could you help me out? Thanks very much.

There’s an old couple who got married for a long time. And one day, unfortunately, they had a fight with each other. And maybe we can hear the following dialogue from their argument.

Woman: I’m sorry I ever met you, I’m sorry I ever got married you.
Man: 1) As if you have so many more appealing options.
2) As if you have had so many more appealing options.
3) As if you had so many more appealing options.
4) As if you had had so many more appealing options.
Could you tell me that on what condition these answer could be used, these four sentences may express different meanings. Could you tell the differences? I wanted to know the exact differences among those different answers. Which means that the woman didn’t truly have more options? And which means she did have? Which ones fit the situation most?

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Man:
    1) As if you have so many more appealing options.
    ----
    1) as if (or "like") you have options NOW.
    2) like you have had options - in the past there were options, and up to the present time there might still be options.
    3) like you had, in the past, more options. I'm not sure about which time in the past, but I assume at the time they
    4) like you had, at one time, or at one event, more options in the past.

Note on #4: had had
    The man is saying, "as if in the past, at the time of our marriage, you already had options PRIOR to our marriage. We will use "had had" when we are telling a story that is in the past, but in telling the story, we also want to refer to a time before the time of the story"

Another Example: Telling a Story that Occurred Last Year, Last Month, Last Week, and referring to earlier events, before the time of the story:

John and Lisa got divorced last year. John had had a drinking problem for several years BEFORE their divorce. Finally, Lisa decided she had had enough, and she went to a lawyer to seek a legal divorce.

John's alcoholic problem existed for several years before the time of their divorce.

Lisa had enough (of John's drinking habits and the problems of alcoholism). In this example, Lisa had endured the problems for several years before the time of their divorce. In the same way that "had endured" uses "had" with another past tense verb, we can also say "had had".

I can't really say if the woman truly had more options or didn't really have options, because the statements are from her husband. He is saying "like", "as if", "as though".... and it is all from his perspective. The only way I would know if she had no options would be if he said directly, "you have no other options". Here he could be lying, but he isn't assuming.

More resolved questions for learning English