Are Tagalog and Cebuano different a lot??

I learned a few Cebuano sentences. To learn Cebuano is a little hard for non-pilipino living abroad.
If I learn Tagalog, will it be easy to understand Cebuano?

Would you let me know how different they are, and the followings are?
- Lunch time - beniudo
- What is this? - Unsa man ni?
- How much? - Pila?
- How old are you? - Pilay imong iran/idad?
- Where are you going? - Asa ka padulong?
- Do you understand? Nakasabot ka?

Salamat Kaayo.
(I'm not even sure if they are correct. ^^;;;)

For learning: Filipino (Tagalog)

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    yes, they totally are different from each other. although, while the 'cebuano' dialect is becoming more popular across our country, many tagalog speakers (i.e. those living in Luzon area) would somewhat understand some of its words since they have a bit similarities. like for instance (from your example:

idad = edad (tagalog) - age
    ini = ito (tagalog) - this (although they don't rhyme at all, it's just that it so popular).
    salamat = salamat.

honestly, I'm not a Cebuano but I do understand some of their dialect. But since "tagalog" is the main language used in our country, I guess you should focus yourself studying 'tagalog' before learning 'cebuano' or other filipino dialect.

good luck to you.

:)

Yes, Tagalog and Cebuano are different... And based on what Romulus said, "ini" for Cebuano, and "ito" for Tagalog, "ini" is also used by the Kapampangans, native people from Pampanga, a province located in Luzon, Philippines... There are lots of other dialects used in our country but Filipino (Tagalog) is our national language.