Does the meaning of 'for a while' 'long time' or 'just a minute'?

In the Philippines, 'for a while' is widely known as 'just a minute,' 'just a second,' but an author of the mini book "Equipments, Pictorials and For a While (common mistakes made by Pinoys)" said that 'for a while' means long time. Is that true?

Answers

from my perspetive, its meaning varies from context to context, so when you choose the phrase, you should pay attention to the specific context, sometimes, it means just a moment, sometimes it means for a long time.therefore, context really counts~~~have a nice day~~~

Yes, "for a while' means a long period of time. For example, I would say 'I will be gone for a while' or 'he has been gone for a while.' Technically, I think 'a while' just means any period of time, so that may be why it is used differently where you are from. It might also depend on the context, but I personally only ever use it to mean a long period of time.

for awhile does not necessarily mean a super long period of time, nor does it mean a short period either. It's unclear how long of a time will pass/has passed.

It can mean a long time, but for certain "for a while" means that the period of time is longer than "just a second" or "just a minute" especially if the "while" part of the phrase is emphasized. It can mean anything from longer than "just a minute" to a long time depending on context.

"While" by definition is a period of intermediate length, that is usually short but longer than a minute.
    How long is a while precisely will depend on its description by adjectives as in ' a long while ago ' or ' a short while ago' .
    Important is that you understand that 'a short while' can't be 'just a minute', yet
    'A long while' is not ages as well; it is still defined inside the boundaries of an intermediate period. When someone is living in a place for years for example, you can't really describe it by ' he stayed there for a long while'.
    It could be rather used in the context of someone staying for few months in a place.

'While' is also related to temporal or limited time spans marked by a certain action or condition.

for a While== Space of time, or continued duration, esp. when short; a time; as, one while we thought him innocent.
    and long time ==gap between ur continuity it's like 1,2 ,3,4 or more hour ,for more time gap
    and just a minute=== it's very closely time between ur continuity very small time

This seems to be a cultural perspective - for me, "for a while" means a longer-than usual length of time. So if you tell me that you'll be gone "for a while", I won't expect you back soon, and I'll go do something else.

The only way I could think you would be back soon is if you say "I'll be gone for (only) a short while" - you actually have to say the "while" is short!