What does "give a damn" mean?

Additional Details:

"The Give a Damn Campaign, a project of Cyndi Lauper’s True Colors Fund, has released its newest public service announcement focusing on hate crimes based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Ricky Martin, Elton John, Idina Menzel, Rachael Harris and Wanda Sykes speak out about the need to bring an end to these senseless acts of violence and intimidation. The PSA saw its world premiere last night on CNN’s Larry King Live during an episode featuring the topic of anti-gay bullying."

from rickymartinmusic.com

Additional Details:

So, what does these words mean? to give a damn... How can I give a damn?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Dmitry,

Damn is a curse word. If you damn someone you are condemning him, judging him worthy of damnation. "I don't give a damn." means that you don't even care enough about someone to curse him. You simply don't "give a damn" or don't "care a damn" about him.....because he is not "worth a damn." You simply don't care at all.

So conversely, if you "give a damn" about something or someone you at least care enough to "damn" him or it. No matter how you look at it "give a damn" is an odd way to say that you care about something.

From the movie "Gone With the Wind" 1939

Scarlett O'Hara-- Rhett, Rhett... Rhett, if you go, where shall I go? What shall I do?

Rhett Butler-- Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. ...

to care
    if you give a damn then it is important to you

"Look at my awesome new shoes!"
    "I don't give a damn."

The phrase "to give a damn" means showing interest or concern...actually this phrase is always used in the negative.

example: He doesn't give a damn about his occupation. (He has no interest in his occupation.).