What does "give a damn" mean?

Additional Details:

"The Give a Damn Campaign, a project of Cyndi Lauper’s True Colors Fund, has released its newest public service announcement focusing on hate crimes based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Ricky Martin, Elton John, Idina Menzel, Rachael Harris and Wanda Sykes speak out about the need to bring an end to these senseless acts of violence and intimidation. The PSA saw its world premiere last night on CNN’s Larry King Live during an episode featuring the topic of anti-gay bullying."

from rickymartinmusic.com

Additional Details:

So, what does these words mean? to give a damn... How can I give a damn?

Answers

to care
    if you give a damn then it is important to you

"Look at my awesome new shoes!"
    "I don't give a damn."

The phrase "to give a damn" means showing interest or concern...actually this phrase is always used in the negative.

example: He doesn't give a damn about his occupation. (He has no interest in his occupation.).