Neil Young's 'Heart of Gold'

I'd very much like to hear people's interpretations of Neil Young's song 'Heart of Gold"

I want to live,
I want to give
I've been a miner for a heart of gold.
It's these expressions I never give
That keep me searching for a heart of gold
And I'm getting old.
Keeps me searching
for a heart of gold
And I'm getting old.

I've been to Hollywood
I've been to Redwood
I crossed the ocean for a heart of gold
I've been in my mind, it's such a fine line
That keeps me searching for a heart of gold
And I'm getting old.
Keeps me searching
for a heart of gold
And I'm getting old.

Particularly, the line "It's these expressions I never give" is not quite clear to me and also " a fine line" as used in the song.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    This song is about Neil's search for his capacity to feel compassion and his grappling with the looming despair of never finding it.
    I interpret the first verse to be an introspective search for compassion within himself (for the kingdom within perhaps).
    He begins with an aspiration - He wants to live and give. He admits, however that he has not realised his aspiration yet, but intends to continue the search (although he's "getting old").
    The second verse alludes to the inevitable search-outside-himself that takes him far away from home (and perhaps his mission is driving him crazy? - I've been in my mind, its such a fine line).
    The final verse refers to a second party (you keep me searching for a heart of gold) who, for whatever reason, tries his patience but ultimately this vexation only further drives him to continue the search.

In the end Neil is still in the hunt to realise his opening aspirations (i.e. he has not despaired) but he suspects that time (and I'm getting old - also a metaphor for the corrosion of cynicism, perhaps) may defeat him.

I have a heart of gold. :P

My opinion is that you can found love anywhere to every one but its hard to find true love.

cowboy...