Can I say: 'People WHO live in villages are clever'? Is it correct?

OOPT

My English teacher says that 'who' can't be plural, so I shouldn't use it here. That's why she says that the sentence 'people who live in villages are clever' - isn't correct. But I have some doubts about this question.
Thank you in advance! :)

Additional Details:

Thank you all for your wonderful answers! :) This is my SCHOOL English teacher. Now I'm sure that the sentence 'people who live in villages are clever' is correct!:) Thank you again!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    I'll try to explain it:

The people who live in villages = a group. The fact is, we don't have a plural for "who"... but often a "group" will become singular, eg. "everyone is..."

BUT in your example, you are still talking about a plural, so you follow the plural rules: "they are clever" = "the people who live in villages (=they) are clever".

The use of "who" changes when you know who it is. "Who are you?" "I *am*....etc"

the sentence is correct
    you can use who with singular or plural nouns
    the boy who is playing football is my brother,
    the girls who are singing are my sisters.

I live in a small village,but I'm not clever. Who modifies plural and singular nouns.

"People WHO live in villages are clever" / In this sentence can be used "that" or "who" both of them are correct , but the pronoun "who" would be the preferred response among most careful writers. (I have checked it in a Quiz on Which, That, and Who)

People WHO live in villages are clever'?
    it is correct ^_^

you can say :
    people who changed the world
    people who love fashion
    List of people who disappeared mysteriously

Your sentence IS correct. You need a new English teacher.

She means it's incorrect because people who live in villages are not clever. :P

Perhaps your teacher has something against villagers. :P

Furthermore, it is clear that her English is not very good. :P