How can I increase my vocabulary?

I'm having difficulty increasing my vocabulary. I believe I have no problem with basic-level stuff, but it seems that I can't go past that.

What is the best way to learn new words and expressions for intemediate to advanced-level learners? What worked for you? Do you think flashcards and book reading are the most effective? Let me know!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    i used to have the same problem , but i :
    - take 3 -7 words from dictionary and memorize it with it sentences
    - i listen to my favorite English songs and read its lyrics ( it really helped me )
    - i watched moveies with sub or download my favorite movies script (i never forget the words i learnt by using songs and movies )
    - if i saw any new word in street or when i buy grocery- what is written on cans / chocolate bar ..etc ( i wrote down the word and searched for it )
    - use the words in my daily life
    that what i did and it helped me to keep the new words in my mind for a long time

i hope i helped you
    Good Luck ^_^

Reading (books, Internet, ....) and listening (Radio, TV, ...)
    If you have a basis in the language, I think that will help more than flashcards.
    Of course you can use flashcards addidtionally.
    My opinion ;)

Book reading would help you find new words. Conversation would be helpfull too but also may be bad. Example would you like to turn english into. "I luv ma gal"?

In junior high we used this awesome textbook called Vocabulary for Achievement. I really recommend it if you want to learn tons of very useful words like idiosyncrasy and epidermis ;p
    hehe seriously, it's very good.

Keep reading a lot as "looking in a dictionary" millions of times. Use online (= not paper) dictionary for your convenience. It worked for me. Frequently-appearing words are retained in your memory. That' the way.

Read, watch tv, practice with others

Hi. You can learn English vocab free online.This website has themed units with pictures and sound, English games and free English lessons for beginners www.learnenglish.de/

In order to remember your English vocabulary you can follow 2 methods.

First is the repetition-based method, where you learn English words by writing them several times or saying them repeatedly until you remember them all. If you patiently follow the process, you will see your vocabulary extended very well.

Secondly, you also need have to have a notebook with your own note-taking rules. Each time you log onto Italki, note down any new words in the Questions and Answers section.

The only problem is whether you want a rich vocabulary or not. Your plan should answer 4 questions.

1.How many words will you learn a week: 5, 10, 15 or more?

2. When will you learn them? Every other morning or anytime you feel like learning?

3. How often will you review what you have learnt: weekly, monthly or before a test ?

4. What areas of English will you focus on? Sports, music, games or sciences? The answers may vary a great deal from one person to another depending on memory, schedules and interest.

You can gain a big vocabulary and improve your English by simply by determining what field of words to learn, making a plan of learning, choosing a learning method and regularly practising your plan and method. Daily vocab learning is better than weekly or monthly.

Remember your vocab by drawing a small a picture next to it.For example, for the phrase "make up" draw a small coloured picture of a woman's face with lipstick, eye shadow and mascara. "Make up" also means to make friends again after an argument so you need to draw 2 people shaking hands underneath your first picture. Good luck.

I'm learning Japanese, and i have the same problem.
    1) Look up a subject of intrest, and translate it
    2) get a white board and write down words (or a chalk board)
    3) Ask family members or friends to have practice conversations with harder words. Of course if they don't know the language just tell them what words you want them to say.
    4)Watch moveies
    5)Listen to songs
    6)Read online articles you find interesting
    7) Read a book
    8) Read manga that was translated to language you are learning ( The pictures help you understand things)
    9) Talk with someone who speaks the language