What is the easiest way to understand when to use ''vit'' other than ''vitt'', and also ''det'' and ''den''?

For learning: Swedish
Base language: Swedish

Answers

As you know there are two indefinite articles in Swedish: "en" - the indefinite article of general gender and "ett" - the indefinite article of neutra gender: en bil, ett barn. These articles are definite articles when they are added to words: bilen, barnet. But when you have an adjective before a noun, you must use the definite article "den" instead of "en" and "det" instead of "ett": den grona kjolen.
    "Den" and "det" can be pronouns and replace nouns that denote things:
    Var ar boken? Jag har den har.
    Where is the book? I have it here.
    Var ar kaffet? Jag har det har. - Where is the coffee? I have it here.
    When you use an adjective with a noun, you must pay attention to the gender of the noun. When you use a neutra noun, an adjective has the ending -t.
    en vit bil - a white car
    ett vitt fonster

The only way is so learn the gender of all nouns. There is unfortunately no rule to follow. I'll give you a few examples.

En lampa - a lamp
    En ful lampa - an ugly lamp

Ett bord - a table
    Ett fult bord - an ugly table

En sko - A shoe
    En vit sko - a white shoe

Ett hus - a house
    Ett vitt hus - a white house
    jon is right. You have to learn the gender of all nouns. Then you easily can decide whether you should use -t or -n like ingen/inget, fantastisk/fantastiskt, vit/vitt, röd/rött, stor/stort, gullig/gulligt and so on.

I don't know any rule for this but I can tell you that almost every animal ends with -n. I was thinking about this for a while, and I've found two animals which doesn't end with -n and that's lejon (lion) and marsvin (guinea pig). Otherwise, you just have to try and learn.

More resolved questions for learning Swedish