"winter" \ "winner" american accent

Is the noun "winter" is some kind of exclusion in the American accent rule where you can omit "t"s before "n"s (most of the time I believe). Otherwise "winter" would sound like "winner" and cause confusions.

Answers

Yes, "winter" does sound like "winner" (to me). It's extremely common in American English (particularly Northeastern accents) to de-emphasize the /t/ in those situations. Sometimes it becomes a /d/ sound, or like a brief tap of the tongue, or disappears altogether. Unless you are speaking very slowly and enunciating, expect the "t" to change.

With \n\, it usually disappears altogether:

"Painter" can sound like "pain-er"
    "Winter" = "Winner"
    "Squinting" = "Squinning"

In my own speech these pairs are pronounced identically. It's not confusing for us because we are so used to it. Unfortunately, if you will be talking to native speakers of American English, you'll hear this accent very often.

Sometimes the /t/ becomes a /d/ or a tap without being near an /n/:

"Water" can sound like "wader"
    "Butter" = "budder"
    "Waiter" = "Waider"

In fact, in most situations the "t" isn't really a /t/. In my accent, sometimes it disappears altogether (even in "water"). The /t/ doesn't disappear or change when it's initial or in "st", though:

"Tap" = "Tap", not "dap".
    "Stop" = "Stop".

The "t" has a tendency in most English accents to change somehow. In British English, it usually becomes a glottal stop (the sound you make by closing your throat, like just before you cough). So, "butter" can sound like "Buh-uh" with no distinct /t/ or /d/ at all. In American English, it usually becomes "buder".
    depends on the accent really. I personally pronounce the 't' but i hear plenty of people who don't