About MeccaI am currently an English major and I plan to teach English at the college/university level after I graduate. I have tutored at the college level in the past and it was an enjoyable experience. Below is an outline of my basic teaching strategy:
Prior to the first (trial) session, I will send a short list of questions to my potential student to find out his/her level and what s/he would like to achieve. This information enables me to understand the student’s focus and I will use it as one of my guidelines for structuring future sessions.
During our first (trial) session, I will ask my student a series of questions that may seem irrelevant. Please be assured that these questions are actually very important. They tell me several things, including the student’s understanding of English grammar and tenses, pronunciation, vocabulary, and sentence structure. We will also participate in the following exercises during this session:
1. Conversational speech
2. Pronunciation exercises that are based on what I heard when my student answered the questions at the beginning of our session.
3. Reading comprehension – Reading selected material and answering questions to determine how well my student can comprehend what s/he has read without needing a dictionary for translation.
If a student chooses to sign up for complete sessions, the lessons become more intense. Students should expect and understand the following:
1. Homework - It is important to maximize the time that we have available; therefore, my students receive homework assignments prior to their scheduled sessions. Homework usually involves a listening comprehension task that is reviewed and discussed during the session.
2. Additional reading material when necessary - If there is an area where my student needs to improve, I will send him/her additional information and incorporate this area into our lesson plans.
3. Questions are encouraged - My students are encouraged to ask questions. If I do not have an answer readily available, I will research it and provide an answer as soon as possible.
4. Feedback is encouraged. If there is an area that, in a student’s opinion, needs more attention, I want to know. I try to accommodate my students’ wishes whenever possible.