My experience with education began with teaching students how to speak publicly, and that included researching, speech writing, and public presentation. I was a speaking and debate coach for a total of 8 years. During this time, I earned two university degrees, and graduated from Oregon State University with high academic honors.
I used my degrees in English and Education at a local high school, where I taught English reading and writing skills to middle and high school students. I specialized in basic grade-level skills and test preparation. I also designed my own class while at this school. It was focused on reading and writing skills as well, but with unconventional literature. The class was centered around public speaking, political writing, advertisements, etc. It was much more about conversational English.
Finally, I received my TESOL certification in the summer of 2011. Not only did I master the main program with high marks, but I also completed the additional sections on young learners and business learners, qualifying me to teach all students, ages kindergarten to adult, as well as business English learners. As part of this program, I volunteered with a local English mastery school for several weeks, and was able to assist in English education in full classrooms as well as tutor a few wonderful students from the Middle East and Asia.
- Public Speaking & Debate Coach
- Corvallis School District
1. Designed and implemented direct instruction on various forms of competitive public speaking and debate. This includes reading and writing, research, literary, and public speaking instruction.
2. Organized the logistics of competition (documentation, travel arrangements, supervision, etc.).
- 2002 - 2010
- Corvallis, Oregon United States
- English Teacher
- Central Linn School District
1. Taught English 8 & 9 for 2007-2008 school year (8th grade and 9th grade).
2. Taught English 9 & 10 for 2008-2009 school year to present.
3. Designed and taught an alternative English text/public speaking course for the high school.
-Titled “Applied English”-- year long English elective
-Class focused on English texts that encouraged active citizenship (philosophical texts, political texts, documentary film, news media, etc.) and had a heavy emphasis on debate and public speaking
- 2007 - 2010
- Halsey, Oregon United States
- Volunteer Tutor
- Capstone English Mastery Center
This was part of my TESOL certification. I spent approximately 25 hours total here, and the director of the center is still in contact with me about potential opportunities. Worked with two Libyan students and 1 Korean student once per week (2 hours per week) individually. Students were intermediate level speakers and writers. Direct instruction provided primarily in pronunciation, spelling, vocabulary, and grammar. Also assisted in several full classrooms.
- 2011 - 2011
- Portland, Oregon United States
, English & Education
- Oregon State University
- 2002 - 2007
I have two full Bachelor's degrees in each of my subject areas. I also have approximately 30 hours of graduate school credit toward my Master's of Education (completed from 2008-2010). Attached is my undergraduate transcript.
A copy of my teaching certificate record, valid through 2014.
- Teaching License- State of Oregon
- TSPC (Teacher Standards & Practices Commission)