ସୁଦୀପ
How does your Name sound in other languages? A bit odd or the way you pronounce it?

I was trying to write my name in Arabic but I got stuck in the last sound i.e. "P". I couldn't think of any sound I could use in that place. Again, I went back to the alphabet table but couldn't find any equivalent sound to P. One sound that was a bit equivalent to P was ف(Fa) but still, it sounded a bit odd. Then I used Google translator and it translated "Sudeep" into "Sudib". So, it took ب (Ba) instead of ف(Fa) which was not expected:)

Then I got curious to know how my name is pronounced in other languages and started to translate it into other languages. The pronunciation that sounded a bit strange was in Chinese and Korean.

In Chinese, it sounded like "Sadiphu" and in Korean, it was like "Su depeu". In German, it was "Judeep". and so on.

Now, please help me out to know whether these pronunciations are correct or Google again failed to translate:)

If possible, please try to find out how your name is pronounced in other languages. Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you:)

Feb 28, 2017 3:24 AM
Comments · 12

I guess this is a thing, problems with name's pronunciations. I consider myself lucky, since my name is a biblical one it is usually has a version of it present in most languages... that doesn't mean that all the versions sound similar, though. Like, my name is "Filipe", but in Portuguese we regularly pronounce the final "E" as an "I". Now, in Spanish they have "Felipe", but they pronounce the final "E" as an "E", and obviously, the second letter is also an "E", so there is also that difference. So we are still in the Iberian peninsula and traditionally christian countries (considering where these languages came from) and we already have some phonetic differences. In english it is even weirder, because they don't usually have a final consonant ("Philip"), so when I say my name English speaker tend to pronounce a very strong final "E" that is absent in my language (as I said, we usually pronounce it as an "I").

Now, how a Chinese, Arabic or Japanese speaker would say my name I can't even imagine.

March 16, 2017

@Suade,

Thank you for sharing some interesting information. Yes, it may be a bit difficult to pronounce the "Ayn" sound for the speakers of other languages. Like you said Assad mean Lion in Arabic, so a small difference in sound may change the whole meaning of a word. That's why sounds play an important role in verbal communication.

@Jeff

Thank you for your participation. I'm sorry I don't have much idea about this but I think Korean and Japanese language might have been influenced a bit by the Chinese language.

March 1, 2017

@Sudeep

Ok, so I looked up the name of the actor Sudeep.

In Arabic: سوديب

In Persian: سوديپ

In Chinese: 苏迪普 sū dí pǔ

In Japanese: スディープ sudīpu

In Korean: 수디프 sudipeu (the "eu" is pronounced /ɯ/)

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

February 28, 2017

@Sudeep

Yes, Persian adds four letters to the Arabic alphabet پ peh, چ tcheh, ژ jeh and گ gaf. On the other hand, they read several letters the same way, whereas in Arabic the represent different sounds.The same are in Persian [t] ت ط, [s] ص س ث and [z] ذ ز ض ظ.

February 28, 2017

All languages have their own phonological arsenal.

Arabic doesn't have P, Ch, W (closest is و) and J (closest is خ) sound. But arabic velar and glottal sounds are unique ح خ غ.

English Th is unique. But lacks some vowels (ø,ö,ü,ı) compared to other germanic languages. And English vowel characteristics are different than most languages thats why Anglophones are having trouble in other language phonologies. For the same reason for foreigners its hard to achieve a good accent in English.

Persian and Urdu are also written with Arabic alphabet and both of those languages have p and ch. For those sounds they use پ and چ. I think you can use پ for the last sound of your name.

My name is Ali. But it is pronounced differently in Turkish, Arabic (though my name is Arabic origin Turkish doesnt have ع), Japanese ( japanese lacks r sound) and English (English speakers make aı sound instead of a plain a. And English lacks L of turkish. Turkish has two different L sound)

One of the best exampled would be the name Stephen. Istvan (Hungarian), Stjepan (Croat), Steve (English), Etienne (French), Szczepan (Polish), Esteban (Spanish), Tapani (Finnish), Stephanos (Greek).

February 28, 2017
Show more