Mumtaz
Community Tutor
Indians (Native Americans) and The Amish.

I have been always drawn to the Indians (Native Americans) and the Amish, but the truth is I don’t believe in stereotyping and what Hollywood movies usually show about them. I’m really interested in what YOU personally know in case you have ever dealt with them. I think this is the right place to ask since we’re exchanging cultures as well as languages. So if you have any experiences with them, I would like that you share them here. And in case we have an Amish or a Native American here on italki, it would be great to hear from them personally.

Mar 3, 2015 12:17 PM
Comments · 11

It's not politically correct to say this, but it is historical truth:  When Europeans arrived in the Americas, North and South, wars of conquest had already been occurring among the Native American tribes for thousands of years.  In numerous cases, the Native Americans whom the Europeans found inhabiting a particular place were not the first inhabitants of the area.  Rather, they had taken it by force from its previous owners.  Native Americans are human beings, with all the usual strengths and weaknesses of the human race.  

March 4, 2015

As for the Amish I can't comment on media depiction because I haven't seen much media depiction. But I can share personal experiences I grew up in a state with a lot of Amish. As another said they're very well known for their crafstmanship, especially furniture, as well as their cooking, especially baked goods. They are the descendants of German Quakers who settle in the U.S., they're often called the Pennyslvania Dutch, which comes from the mispronounciation of "Deutsch" (the german word for german) by english speakers. They're a very very peaceful and while like native americans there are different groups they are much more similar. One mature tenet of their beliefs includes pacifism, they will not take part in war, ever. They're generally a very kind but cautious people with outsiders, they do business with the outside world but guard their communities. I personally have interacted with them when buying various goods, and when we bought our dogs (they breed a lot of animals - live a farming lifestyle.) All in all, very nice people with a very unique lifestyle especialy in our modern world where we can't get off our cell phones.
Also NEVER take a picture or video of an Amish person, it is incredibly disrespectful as it violates some very deeply held beliefs, and they themselves would never violate another groups beliefs.

March 3, 2015

@Dorothy: <em>Thank you :) I share you your thoughts and admiration for both: Native Americans and the Amish. Honestly I envy them for keeping a simple way of life and connecting to their roots. </em>

<em>
</em>

@Neil: <em>Thank you for sharing your thoughts. May I ask; if this kind of information is available online from a certified source?</em><em>
</em>

March 4, 2015

Well the first thing to know about Native Americans, is that grouping them as Native Americans is very very misleading. The Apache are significantly different from the Cherokee, who have little in common with the Lakota, etc. The only thing you can count on for the media when it comes to Native Americans, is that the information will be entirely wrong and misleading. If you'd like to learn more about them I'd suggest picking certain tribe and then searching for information, the larger tribes will have more available on line, Cherokee, Lakota/Sioux, Navajo - just to name a few. Some people also lump the inuit and even native hawaiians into the term "native american". I myself and part cherokee but am not connected culturally in any truly significant way - I do get a scholarship though.

March 3, 2015

Yes, It is indeed indians native american but it is rarely to see them.

We have a street where you can play any art on it. I dont know how they come here

But many people come from other's countries would appear.

My grandmom's home is near there.

March 3, 2015
Show more