2019 - 2021
Teaching Consultant Whales EnglishWhales English - Bristol, United KingdomONLINE ENGLISH TUTOR: WHALES ENGLISH
• Teaching Chinese students English language and literature online.
• Two pupils per class, aged 4 to14 years at grades K to 3
• Reading, speaking, phonics, vocabulary and grammar through 4 courses.
2014 - 2018
SPECIALIST IEL/ESOL TEACHER: BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL SHANGHAI, NORD ANGLIABRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL SHANGHAI, NORD ANGLIA - Shanghai, ChinaI oversaw the design, development & introduction in Key Stages 2 and 3 of the Intensive English Lessons (IEL’s) for small ESOL groups of beginner level students, yrs 3-9.
• I taught most classes
• Students took Cambridge English exams
• Planning, delivery & teaching EAL classes
• Liaising with parents & teachers
• Coordinating with EAL leader, class teachers, SEN teacher & parents
• Reporting to parents through Parent-Teacher meetings & end of term written reports.
1990 - 2019
Owner operator WAVELENGTH TUTORSWAVELENGTH TUTORS - Bristol, United Kingdom• Tutoring globally, face to face & online, usually one to one but also in pairs or groups.
• Private support, including special needs & outcomes-based children aged 7 to 11 in UK
• Exam prep for UK grammar schools
• Remedial help worldwide
• Home-schooling my own kids in New Zealand & once for an ADHD child in China unsuited to school
• Mostly curriculum-based content & support relevant to the global locale
• Scores of students over 30 years on 3 continents
2009 - 2010
Kindergarten teacher in the Bi-lingual ‘C-BAN’ FUDAN WANKE EXPERIMENTAL PRIVATE SCHOOL, SHANGHAIFUDAN WANKE EXPERIMENTAL PRIVATE SCHOOL, SHANGHAI - Shanghai, China• introduced and demonstrated the 'radical' concept of child-centred education
• created a reading library of hundreds of new books, with no funding or training
• introduced the concept and the reality of integrating Educational Support Professionals ( Educational Psychologists)
• introduced the soft carpet /soft furnishings area with the eager help of parents
• modernised the classroom layout away from the 'rows of desks' approach
Now there are 12 thriving, modern classes - and a library.
1998 - 2002
Classroom Teacher PRIMARY SCHOOL TEACHER TYNINGS SCHOOLPRIMARY SCHOOL TEACHER TYNINGS SCHOOL - Bristol, United Kingdom• permanent position
• Normal Year5/6 classroom duties plus responsibility for Mathematics and Information Technology teaching within the school.
• Oversaw the installation and integration of the Information Technology suite schoolwide.
• Designed and delivered in-service training for staff and parents, on the UK National Curriculum and the National Numeracy Strategy.
• Passed the Performance Threshold for meeting national standards in effective teaching.
1994 - 1998
PRIMARY SCHOOL TEACHER FRAMPTON COTTERELL C OF E PRIMARYFRAMPTON COTTERELL C OF E PRIMARY - Bristol, United KingdomY5 : permanent position
I developed Sports, Geography & Design Technology
I produced / delivered in-service training in those subjects for staff & parents
I set up many sports teams & clubs (*cricket, football, rounders & rugby). I coached the teams to win local & national trophies & awards.
My classroom won a national environmental competition.
I collaborated on curriculum & exam development.
I graded all written work, including final exam papers for year 6 children.
2021 - 2023
Full Time Online mentor and educator Self-employedSelf-employed - Bath, United KingdomSpeciality: British English Global online teaching & mentoring adults & kids with specific or bespoke courses ( 35-45 sessions per week, occasionally at italki...). Areas of Interest History, Geography and Current Affairs.