First things first.
In English, there are either 8 or 9 Parts of Speech (depending on whose definition you are using).
Drag your mouse across the part of speech if you can't remember <o:p></o:p>
The most common way of changing a word from one part of speech into another part of speech is by the simple process called conversion. Conversion is the word formation process whereby a word of one part of speech converts into a word of another part of speech often without any changes to spelling or pronunciation.<o:p></o:p>
Sometimes verbs change spelling when they are written in a tense other than the infinitive.
For example: to email / email / emailed / emailing
- I can send you an email (noun) or I can email (verb) you.
For example: to google / google / googled / googling
- Today I googled (verb) some information using the Google (noun) search engine.
- My grandmother bottled (verb) the juice and canned (verb) the pickles.
- My grandmother put the juice in a bottle (noun) and the pickles in a can (noun).
- She microwaved (verb) her lunch using the microwave (noun).
Choose a few examples of nouns and verbs below and write them in one or two sentences.
Noun to Verb Conversion
The most common type of conversion is from a noun to a verb (sometimes called verbification).
access to access
break to break
closet to closet
cut to cut
eye to eye
fiddle to fiddle
fool to fool
host to host
knife to knife
name to name
pocket to pocket
salt to salt
shape to shape
ship to ship
spear to spear
touch to touch
torch to torch
- Someone rang the doorbell, so peeped his eye on the peephole to eye who's outside.
- The previous host of Miss Universe pageant, Steve Harvey signed the multi-year contract to host again in the said show.
- You need an access code in PUBG in order to access and play it. (PUBG stands for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. It is an online game. =D)
- It's hard to shape the decagon on it's perfect angles, because every time I'm trying to draw decagon, it's turning out into circle shape. =D
Before you pocket these candies, let me check whether you have any candy in your pocket.
A ship shipping ship is going to ship a shipping ship(I read somewhere a sentence like this.)
To get the access to the security zone, you need not have to break the rules to access it in an illicit way as the eagle-eyed security guards always have an eye on the entrance so that they can cut the risk of any kind of attack.(Is it ok?)
We need to salt the pickle in order to preserve it for a long time.
This is the interesting one I came across: Trump may trump May, or May may trump Trump!:)
Thank you, Richard for a useful and interesting exercise!
· This face of innocence, that pristine landscape, those naive looks of trust touched my heart. But it was just the touch of Hollywood.
· He ogled the young girl whose eyes had that unbelievably intensive blue. But when she eyed him, he got aware her cynical grin.
· The fiddler on the roof fiddled as long until his fiddle was broken. Then he bought a new one and fiddled till someone salted the fiddle. His last song was a bit salty. Since that day he was named the ‘salty fiddler on the roof’.
Good exercise, Richard. Thank you.