Pros of the app:
- it’s easier to correct notebook entries and to comment without hitting the character limit because the app doesn’t keep previous formatting
- no need to hit the “show more button” several times to reach the end of a longer discussion. When scrolling down, the app automatically loads more comments
- it’s possible to delete messages in the messenger
- messenger is slow (new messages appear on the website quicker than in the app) and there’s a strict character limit on the messages
- when correcting and colour-coding one can only choose the colour yellow
- the language partner search tool is almost impossible to find, so that new users aren’t aware of this tool
- you can’t see the whole profile of another user. Some informations like country of origin, gender, activity history are only visible on the website.
- Maybe I’m doing something wrong but for whatever weird reason I can’t post notebook entries or discussion posts via the app. I can type the text but it doesn’t let me choose a language, so I always have to post via the website (Strangely enough after posting this discussion I and reading Omid's comment, I wrmt back to the area where you create discussions and notebook entries and now it let's me choose a language. Problem solved but I don't know why it didn't work before.)
- it’s not possible to copy text in the app, so when I’m commenting via the app but would like to quote another user, I have to switch to the web browser, copy the text there and go back and paste it in the app.
Anyone else here using both versions and having similar experiences?
Funnily, after reading your comment, I tried and now it worked that I could choose languages for discussion threads and notebook entries but I swear that I tried for months and it didn't work. What kind of magic did you do there? ;) The character limit isn't so much a problem for the person who posts a notebook entry but for the corrector. Some texts have to be divided into three parts for correction via web browser. I guess that maybe new users who use their phone a lot prefer the app and long term users and teachers prefer to use the website.
I got a notification that you commented on this discussion but I can’t see your comment. It’s very likely that you’re blocked and your posts are invisible to others. Contact the italki team and ask them to reinstate you.