* Remember that this is a formal exam not a friendly conversation, so do not attempt to ask questions of your examiner - instead listen carefully, follow instructions and answer the questions to the best of your ability.
* Know the meaning of the question: "What shall I call you?" ... This is a different question than "What is your name?" ... For example a person whose name is Daniel may prefer people to use the nickname "Dan". Or a non western person may have a different western name.
* Be prepared to speak about where you live and where you work or study. Try and think of ways you can use interesting grammar and vocabulary.
* Do not allow there to be a long silence during your speaking test, but give yourself time to think. Use phrases such as "That’s an interesting question!" while you are thinking about your answer.
* Prepare a list of vocabulary for the topics below that you can use in the exam. Do some research on the internet and in your course books. Make a list of other topics that may come up, and prepare a vocabulary list for each topic.
Typical topics include:
- Leisure activities
- Your routine
- Birthdays and other celebrations