This Method will Help you Learn New Vocabulary and Phrases
I always share this simple yet effective method with my Spanish students.
This is what you need to do:
- Get a notebook you like (better without lines just plain white paper) and some color pencils.
- Treat every sheet of paper as a painting canvas.
What do I need by painting canvas?
Make every sheet unique and memorable
First, DO NOT make lists of words please (they look all the same and are boring for your brain)
Be creative and random:
- You can write in different sizes, and with a different hand writing even
- Start writing wherever you feel like starting (you do not need to start in the top left corner as usually )
- You can write upside down, vertically, diagonally, you name it.
- Use different colors or make spontaneous drawings
- Try making a bold font or italic by hand
- Just BE creative. Express yourself in the sheet of paper. (colors, drawings, random stuff)
- Take your time to complete the sheet; you do not need to complete it all at once. You can limit the number of words or phrases to 20, for example. When it is full, create a new one.
- You can come back to review the sheet and add a little more art if you feel like it or just rewrite letters as a way to practice spelling, for example.
Why does this work?
- You create a unique link between you brain and this sheet of paper; it is unique and you know it well because you are the creator.
- You need to create connections in your brain to store information in your brain long term. By doing this you are literally creating more connections in the sheet itself that will eventually help you recall information. Plus you make it enjoyable and stop writing boring-to-death list of words.
Go ahead and try it if you are struggling to remember phrases or words and let me know in the comments if it worked for you. You can see results in a couple of days.
*Share your method to learn new words, too.
Thank you for reading