Why we should learn our own language.
[EDIT]: There is an easy version at the end.
Many of us are trying so hard to improve our language skills when learning a second language, however, the fact that we already speak a language at a high level almost slips our mind.
Some would say their intended language is complicated and impossible to learn, others would say it's hard yet possible and that they are almost there.
Different people look at things from different angles, however, I think all of us would agree with the fact that we are already "there" in our native language.
Every single language has a plethora of words, along with unique ways to describe what we think or how we feel about something. In the past, synonyms for the same word were used to express the same thing in different degrees of intensity, now we tend to intensify what we say using, for example, "very" or "totally", each in their own language, instead of using one direct self-explanatory word that doesn't need any kind of emphasis.
For some reason, a considerable amount of powerful words has fallen out of daily use, which has left us with a language that might not accurately reflect our thoughts or feelings in all situations.
I believe the language that is used by novelists, for example, has the greatest impact on the reader far more than anything else does. Reading the same novel but written in the spoken language rather than the literary one would enable us to tell the difference.
I think we should pay a visit every now and then to our beautiful language, learn more and put into words what is going through our mind in the most wonderful ways.
- Our language has so many words but we only use a few of them every day.
- Our language can describe one thing with many different words.
- When we repeat the same words so many times, they lose their meaning.
- We love reading stories because the people who write them always use the right words.
- Here on Italki, we all love learning languages and we want to be better at the language(s) that we are learning but we sometimes forget that we are very good at our language.
- We should visit our beautiful language more because if we do this, we will speak and write more beautifully.