Community Web Version Now Available
vinicius leony
orthodontic apparatus vs brace: What should I say?
I was reading and I saw the word brace and it was talking about the orthodontic apparatus. But i saw on Google that brace is a pair of straps that pass over the shoulders and fasten to the waistband of a pair of trousers or a skirt at the front and back to hold it up; suspenders. So what should I say when I am talk about the orthodontic apparatus?
Other doubt, should I say "I am use brace (orthodontic apparatus) or I am wearing brace (orthodontic apparatus)?"

Sorry about my English but I hope you guys understand what mean!
May 21, 2020 12:57 AM
Comments · 2
If you are talking about orthodontics, you could say “I wear braces” or “he has braces.”. We use the plural.

”Braces” can also mean suspenders, but to me this is old fashioned and uncommon—at least in North America.

May 21, 2020
There are different meanings of brace. Erik's answer is perfect for orthodontia. Other common types of braces might be a knee brace or a neck brace. In those cases, you could still use the verb "wear".

He's been wearing a neck brace since the car crash.

But you also could use the word "use".
I wear/use a knee brace when I run.

You would never use "use" for orthodontic braces.
May 21, 2020
vinicius leony
Language Skills
English, Portuguese
Learning Language