8 Things you may not know about English!!! :)
- The word "alphabet" comes from the first two letters of the Greek alphabet: alpha, bēta.
- The word "Checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase "Shah Mat" meaning "the king is helpless".
- The most common letter in English is "e".
- Only two English words in current use end in "-gry". They are "angry" and "hungry".
- The word "bookkeeper" (along with its associate "bookkeeping") is the only unhyphenated English word with three consecutive double letters. Other such words, like "sweet-toothed", require a hyphen to be readily readable.
- The only planet not named after a god is our own, Earth. The others are, in order from the Sun, Mercury, Venus, [Earth,] Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.
- The longest English word without a true vowel (a, e, i, o or u) is "rhythm".
- The dot over the letter "i" and the letter "j" is called a "superscript dot".
Comment below if any of these surprised you or if you know any interesting facts of your own :)