are bad, take a long time and finally don't help to learn languages as it should !? most of us spent years and years learning some language at school without being able to make a normal daily communication with a native speaker !? Where do you think the problem is ?
I spent from around the age of 13 to 16 learning French at school and was quite able to converse with native speakers at the end. I am trying to think what made this possible and here are a few suggestions:
* a teacher who spoke the language fluently and had lived and studied in France
* a good teacher - he started us early learning short poems and singing French songs which gave us confidence in opening our mouths and using the language rather than just reading it from a textbook
* good teaching materials - the textbook was basic but well designed with plenty of exercises and examples
* understanding of grammar - this is essential - you need to know the differene between an adjective and and adverb and the concept of a "tense" to build a sentence
* rote learning - like learning multiplication tables, you need to learn irregular verbs and vocabulary - I found writing out vocab in a notebook and sitting down each evening to memorise a few words was very helpful in retaining vocab and enabling me recognise and use new words
* variety - learning out a book alone can become boring - hence singing songs and learning poems was a good way of stimulating interest
* culture - learning about French culture and attitudes - the teacher told us anecdotes about life in France and how schools operated there
* listening - I listened to radio broadcasts in French including news and musical programs
* motivation - I enjoyed prising open another language and better understanding the culture and history of a great nation like France
This is why the school learning experience worked for me.
Well, probably because you aren't immerse in the language. When I was in middle school that was the problem, but that only happened in daily school (maybe because while I was in English class I was thinking about homework from Math teacher. Once I signed up for an English course I learnt a lot, probably is the interest you have in the subject.
The iducation system in our countries
The old fashioned teaching way
The aim of learning in the school is the marks only