I'm new on Italki, and this is my first discussion, and I'd like to talk about something that is confusing to me sometimes : Synonyms.
In some cases I cannot specify whether I use a word that has a similar synonym or use it's synonym in a specific sentence (or phrase! - you can consider it as an example).
Onother example : (Photo - Picture - Image).
I hpe I was clear and I would love to see you share your thoughts with me.
Fair question - there are a few ways of getting around this problem. :) I guess the dictionary or translator isn't helping much, so it's time to find other options.
- Do an image search for each word.
- Search for the word in a phrase, using quotation marks.
- Search for the phrases in news articles and blogs (still with quotation marks), and remember to change verb tenses and pronouns.
- Look for the etmology of each word. Sometimes a word's origin makes it the right word.
- If you're still confused after all your research, ask a specific question here. :) It really helps to give an example sentence, even if the sentence is incorrect.
I don't think it matters for the most part: I went to Paris last month. I must have taken a thousand photos/pictures. (Images wouldn't fit here, but most people would understand you.)
The more time you spend reading and writing in English, the more you're going to develop a feel for what words fit in a certain context or phrase.
So much helpful .. Thanks Peachey.
Thank you R A for facilitating this, my point is : If we have 2 words that have a similar meaning like ( home & house) and used them in a specific sentence like " I've got back to .......", the word (home) may would meant by house or hometown (different meaning).
The above comment already explained the what and use of synonym. I would add that, Normally it said as a best practice to also learn synonyms and antonyms of a a word if you want to build your vocabulary.