Here are some fun facts about France :
1. Ok, I am really running for the cliché here but one of our former president (19th Century), Felix Faure, died while a prostitute was fellating him. This resulted in a famous wordplay. His political rival, Clémenceau, said "Il voulait être César, il ne fut que Pompée" (literally: "he wished to be Ceasar but ended up as Pompey"). "Pompée" in French is pronounced like the word "pompé" which means "to be blown".
2. Former president Mitterrand created a "Ministère du temps libre" (Ministry of Free Time) whose aim was to develop the range of activities you could do to relax and entertain yourself on vacations and week-ends.
3. We love cheese and have around 400 varieties. Former president De Gaulle once said that it is impossible to rule a country with so many cheeses.
4. A common way to greet is to kiss people on the cheeks (it is more touching the cheeks than kissing them). Though, the number of kisses we make depends on the region we live in. A website was even created to inform on the number of kisses you have to make depending on your location.
5. Strikes are tradition. We're so meta we even do strikes to protest against the strikes.
Great topic! I know the French eat a lot of cheese, my friends do the same. They also said that in the South of France, people greet each other with four kisses on the cheek, and they added it may be because girls are beautiful there. :) They also greeted us with four kisses, which was strange at first, we usually have two.
Fun fact about American Samoa.
1. Most of the world don't know we exist..lol We're part of the invisible culture/island like the tribes in the deep amazon.
2. Most of the Americans think's we're a US territory when we're actually not. We have a peace treaty with the United states but were are not an actual ''territory''.
3. Puerto rico is a united states territory which grants them US citizenship at birth. But we don't due to the fact that we still have out own government system within the US government and the fact that we still own our lands.
4. We produce the highest American soldiers from our tiny island tper capital.
5. We are big built people. Studies says that Samoan have one of the denses bones in man.
6. Our island also produces alot of american football players. lol
There's so much more. :)
"we're so meta":) I loved things meta and recursive for all my life.
Where do you know this expression from? According to google, it is quite popular... but I see it for the first time.
Funny the first one, didn't know about the first two.
For the strikes is more like a sacred thing especially the sncf, i remember missing 2 or 3 trains because of the strikes.