webox
How to make out whether it should be a point after the cut word? I was surprised with not finding a point in the title of the university (the University of St Andrews). Though we shorten a minute into "min." where we put the point. Please help me with the rules which regulate using points in cut words. It might be either an explanation or useful links, working google keys and so on. (Such keywords as "shortened word" or "cut word" don't work; I found nothing relevant.) Thanks in advance.
May 2, 2011 8:33 PM
Eddie is correct. Here is a website with further explanations http://www.writingservices.eu/Abbreviations-HowToWriteThem.htm
The best way to describe these words is "abbreviations". Technically, one should put a period or point at the end of the abbreviation. "Mr. Smith" "etc." But sometimes people don't include the period at the end of an abbreviation.
webox
English, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian
English, Portuguese, Spanish