AnanziSilvermane
Is there an easy way to learn the russian cases? I'm having trouble knowing which to use.
May 5, 2011 12:21 AM
When I started learning English many years ago, my teacher told me what English preposition is for what cases. May be this would help you too: Nominative: direst subject (no preposition) Genitive: of Dative: to Accusative: direct object, i.e. a noun after transitive verbs (no prepositions) Instrumental: by/with Prepositional: about/of This scheme is not complete, but still it reflects the idea of cases. Here are some examples: 1) Nominative: A girl smiles — Девочка улыбается. 2) Genitive: A smile of the girl is beautiful — Улыбка девочки красива. 3) Dative: I smiled to the girl — Я улыбнулась девочке. 4) Accusative: I see a girl. — Я вижу девочку. 5) Instrumental: A cake was made by the girl — Пирожное сделано девочкой 6) Prepositional: We are talking about the girl. — Мы говорим о девочке. Again, this is not a complete course, but this is what you can start with.
The most often used cases in Russian are nominative = именительный (кто? что?), genitive = родительный (кого? чего?), accusative = винительный (кого? что?). They take up about 70% in speech. Maybe you will learn them first?
Unfortunately, there's no easy way to learn the Russian cases. Even when you finalize your understanding of the grammatical meanings each of the cases expresses you will have to deal with the variable endings and a plethora of Prepositional Government options. Like very much while studying German, you won't have to ask why it's is fragen nach and not fragen über. You'll simply have to memorize and practise that. This why I find extremely helpful before proceeding to learning the Russian noun declensions some previous basic knowledge of a simpler case system, like that in Latin or German.
Ира Родила Девчонку, Велела Тащить Пеленку. :) Easy? My son studies it in school, and it often gets hard even for him, though he's a native russian :)) Maybe just... check and note the corresponding questions (кто, что? кого, кому, о ком? и т.д.) But my advice would be just drop it for a while at all, means don't care about the cases - better remember the "use cases" or collocations (if I call it right). I assure you, good half of us are not good with this stuff from this academical point of view, but anyone can use it correctly while speaking. Good luck!
AnanziSilvermane
Russian