Ahmed
via & through ? what is the different between via and through? or they similr?
May 10, 2011 6:21 AM
Through can be used as a synonym for via, though not in all cases. The ability to interchange through and via depends on the context. For example, the following have the same meaning: "He climbed in through the back window." "He climbed in via the back window." "I'll let her know via one of our friends." "I'll let her know through one of our friends."
Through is when you go straight through somewhere to get to somewhere else, eg. 'I walked through the garden to get to my house' But via is more like when you go somewhere whilst you're on the way to somewhere else, eg. ' I went home via the post office' would mean that you went to the post office and then went home , and ' I flew from London to Australia via Thailand' would mean that you flew from London to Australia, but the plane stopped off in Thailand along the way. Hope that clears it up for you :)
Ahmed
Arabic, English