rainbow
Can you tell me the rule for getting an English name? Why are some people's names so long? For example, Picasso's name is Pablo Diego José Santiago Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Crispín Crispiniano de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz Blasco y Picasso. Why is it so long? How do you call it when you meet? Thank you for your answers!
8
0
English names are usually simple, with a first middle and last name (and sometimes a suffix like jr. sr. or III, IV, etc. if a son was given the same name as his father. Jr. is for the younger, sr. is for the older, while roman numerals like III and IV denote how many times the name has been carried over). The first name is usually any name chosen for you. The middle name is not used often and may be optional. I had a Taiwanese friend born in America who's middle name was simply 'C'. Everyone I've known has had a middle name of some kind. It is also somewhat common for a middle name be named after another person like the mother's best friend or a president. The last name is the 'family name'. It usually is the father's last name that is carried down, though sometimes it may be the mother's. This is much more common in cases of divorce or if the mother raised the child alone.
In the old days people took their name from their origin. It could include place of birth, grandparents, anything really. I have no idea what Picasso's name really means.
Often names are traditional in the family and people take these names. But to be different, I have no middle name.
I find most English names are rather short. My name is Kevin Allan Mason. I guess Mason comes from the job of being a mason, builder with bricks basically. I would say you look like a Natalie or Emma. I Liked giving young students English names.
It's just that Picasso's name isn't an English name....Spanish I think
rainbow