Keith075
Some questions about noun clauses Actually no one has ever taught me this kind of grammar . I learnt it from books&conversations. Therefore, I got some questions that I want you guys to solve them. 1) Can the following sentences be exchanged? Tell me the reason, why or why not . a. This is a dumb question that I don't wanna answer. b. This is a dumb question which I don't wanna answer. My opinion is that "that" can replace all the words that start with "wh". Is that correct? 2) what kind of tense I should use after that/wh-. Is there anything I must follow? 3) I know "the one" can be meant for everything. So which word should I use after " the one"? "that?who?which?" or it depends on the context? Thank you guys so much!! By the way, I found that teachers don't teach students grammar even in united states. They just give me lots of assignments and I have to learn it by myself.
5
0
1. a) Stop using "wanna"! b) Both sentences are fine. 2. You use tenses as you do in normal sentences. 3. I don't know what you are talking about here. "the one"????? "that" replaces "who" or "which". But there are other rules. Buy a grammar book, man.
I'll clarify a couple of things... 1) NO. You cannot just swap "that" and "which" as you wish. This is where learners start making mistakes. This is how you decide: - does the clause describe the last thing you mentioned? Use that/which. - What if I remove the descriptive clause? If the meaning changes (or stops making sense), use "that". If you can cut out the clause and the sentence still makes sense, use "which". - never confuse a sentence that begins with "that" with a clause that begins with "that". If you're not sure, cut them into two sentences. Do they make sense? Then use two sentences. 2) Eliot is right; give it the tense as normal. No special treatment here. 3) Yes. it relies on the context. Is the thing human? Use "who". Quick correction: "They just gave me lots of assignments and I had to learn it by myself."
You use 'that ' before a restrictive clause and 'which' before everything else.
Keith075
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Spanish
English, German, Spanish