Jade
Interesting question about " until ". 1. We don't have to be there until seven. What does No.1 mean? A: We will have to be there at seven and after seven, but before seven we can just stay here. B. We will be there at five or six or anytime but before seven, we may leave before seven, don't have to stay too long. 2. You don't have to stay here until nine. What does No. 2 mean? A. You are now here but you may leave before nine. B. You don't have to stay here right now but you will have to be here at nine. 3. I can't wait until ten. A. Because of something, I must stop waiting before ten, or I will have stoped waiting by ten. 4. I can't be waiting for you until you show me that you are worth my waiting. A. I may be in love with others before you show me that you are worth my love. If you really do that, I will stay single and be waiting for your coming. -------------If I take No.4 as No.3, then No.4 would mean like: I must stop waiting for you before you show me something......Obviously, it doesn't make sense here. So what seem to be the problems all here? Thanks!!!Hello, Jura. It is not my homework. I just don't understand it well. " I cannot leave until my work is finished. " means " I am allowed to leave after finishing work. ". But why " I cannot wait until nine " WOULD NOT mean like:" I am allowed to wait after nine. " ? That is my very question. " I can not wait until nine. " means " I can only wait until eight or seven or anytime but before nine ", doesn't it ?
6
0
Is this your homework? Here are all the meanings and ways to use of "until" Until as a preposition 1. Up to the time of: We danced until dawn. 2. Before (a specified time): She can't leave until Friday. 3. Scots Unto; to. Until as a conjunction. 1. Up to the time that: We walked until it got dark. 2. Before: You cannot leave until your work is finished. 3. To the point or extent that: I talked until I was hoarse. S
not until = 才
1. It is alright if we arrive after seven. be there = arrive 2. It is alright if you leave earlier (before nine). 2B. It is alright if you go somewhere else now, but be here at 9. 3. I don't have the patience to wait until 10. (easy) 4. This could mean a number of things, depending on context and type of relationship. As I'm not interested in wishy washy love love, I can't really help you here.
Jade
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Russian
Russian