Esra
can we use (some) in positive question? for example:Do you have some money to lend me?
4
1
Esra, Yes, we can, if we expect or anticipate a positive answer. You are more likely to get a positive result if you think positively, so from a psychological point of view you probably would do better by asking for “some” money rather than “any” money. Do you have some money you could lend me? (Expecting a positive answer.) Do you have any money you could lend me? (A real question) Would you like some sugar with your coffee. (Most people do.) Would you like any sugar with your coffee. (A real question) Do you have some rats in your basement? (I'm pretty sure I saw one there.) Do you have any rats in your basement? (A real question) The same logic applies to compounds with some-. Do you know somebody who could help me with my Math? (I think you probably do.) Do you know anybody who could help me with my Math? (A real question) Have you lost something? (It seems like you are looking for something.) Have you lost anything? (A real question) Are you going somewhere? (It seems like you are getting ready to go out.) Are you going anywhere? (A real question)
Some is sometimes used in offers or requests, especially when you want to give something to someone; for example : Would you like some more cake? Hope this helps
Yes. It is perfectly good. In fact, it is the correct way to ask.
You could use 'some' in a positive question, however it is far more usual to use 'any' and sounds more natural, so 'Do you have any money you can lend me?'
Esra
English, Persian (Farsi)