Kim
Questions about English Hi. I'm studying English and have some questions to you. 1. When I order something in pub or coffee shop, I usually ask "Can I have Fish&Chips? or Can I have Americano grande size?" like this I order something by using "Can I have blah blah~" and I tried to listen other people who order something, but It is too fast to catch the word. I'd like to know how do YOU say in ordering something. 2. I'm studying Listening by watching drama named The Big Bang Theory recently. I heard "If by holy smokes, you mean derivative restatement of the kind of stuff blah blah~ " but I can't understand "If by" what does "If by~" means?? Could you make some other sentences using this word?? Thank you for reading.^^
7
0
i wil say something like 'please...' ,'can i get a____',"I would like ____" or "I'll have ____" when i ordering something. if by ?? O?O whether 'if by' is in one sentence?
MAY I have a hamburger and a coke? (Then I ask my students, "When was the last time you heard any American use "May I"? They usually can't remember.) I'D LIKE a hamburger and a coke, please. (polite and what many older people would say; I'd like = I would like) COULD I have a hamburger and a coke? (better than "can") CAN I have a hamburger and a coke? (informal and what many younger people would say) "IF BY (word or expression with several possible meanings), YOU MEAN . . . " is a way to confirm the specific meaning of the ambiguous word or expression the speaker used.
"Can I have?" works just fine.
Kim
English, Japanese, Korean