florence
which one is better? thanks if you want something a little more sweet, add more sugar to your taste if you are looking to something a little more sweet, add more....... if you are going for something a little more sweet, add more....... BTW, what would you say for a change? thanks
6
0
Florence, Why does one have to be better? There are many ways of expressing the same idea and you have given us three good examples. go for.....have as a goal, or have an interest in or liking for look to.....direct one's expectation to to want....to have a strong desire for Of the above three expressions "look to" is the least common, but you hear it occasionally, especially from public personalities who make an effort to use a larger vocabulary.
I assume this is from a cooking recipe? If that's true, then "to your taste" is correct. The second one "if you are looking to something" should be "if you are looking FOR something", then it works. I'd probably say, "if you want something a little sweeter, add sugar to your taste."
the first one is correct. The second is incorrect and the third uses a colloquialism (going for something) that is inappropriate here. Finally, I would change the sentence this way: If you want it sweeter, add more sugar. You notice that I left out "to your taste" which I regard as redundant (it is saying the same thing twice ) Hope this helps! John
I really don't know what you are trying to say here.
florence
English, Mongolian