JoeJoe
Different meaning between "real" when it is treat as adj and adv? can I say that: When real is used as adj, it means true, apparent. but when it is used as adv, it means very
16 de ene de 2012 14:59
10
0
"Real" is never used as an adverb. It is an adjective. If you want an adverb, 'really' is the word you want. This is a real mess. [correct] This is real messy. [incorrect] This is really messy. [correct]
16 de Enero de 2012
With all due respect to correct English, people use "real" as an adverb all the time, particularly in spoken English, so the asker's question is valid. So, you were basically right. "Real" used as an adverb does mean "very." When "real" is used as an adjective, it is describing something of reality, something genuine or not make-believe. Except if it's used in an example like "This is a real mess." In that case, the meaning is really to emphasize the extent of the mess. Having said that, I don't recommend that you or other students use "real" as an adverb, because it's wrong. But it's good to ask questions about it, because we still have to understand the language as we see and hear it used. Just know that it is grammatically wrong to use "real" as an adverb.
16 de Enero de 2012
Yes, you are right. But I guess adverb "really" is more often used to mean "actually".
16 de Enero de 2012
JoeJoe
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English