Sunny
When can i add "and" between two simple sentence Hello,I'd like to know when i can use "and"to link two simple sentance. eg:"I'm a housewife from China,I have a harmonious family,I'm basically happy."i wrote it here,a italki friend modified it for me:"I'm a housewife from China,I have a harmonious family,and I'm basically happy." I remembered my teacher told us before:"Don't use "and"between two simple sentance!"I'm scared of my teacher always,so i remembered her words like the Bible.lol. Can you tell me when i can add "and" and when i can't use it ?Thanks a lot!
5
0
Actually, using "and" is a great way to connect two simple sentences. Here's an example: When we tried to go to the game, the parking lot was full AND all of the tickets had already been sold. If you use "and" more than once, you have a problem: When we tried to go to the game, the parking lot was full AND all of the tickets had already been sold AND we had to go home. People talk like this when they tell stories, but it's not correct English! However, there is another way to connect these sentences. You can use a comma and "so": The parking lot was full AND all of the tickets had already been sold, SO we had to go home. Recently, I taught a lesson about this. If you want more practice, I made a video to teach my students how to use for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw8GGWzLz3M I hope it's helpful! Dan at Notefull ESL
It is almost always possible to link two simple sentences with the conjunction "and". In the example your friend corrected for you, three have been combined. Your teacher's warning must have been taken out of context. Too many simple sentences in a piece of writing makes the effect "choppy". Good writers mix short sentences and long sentences together. I hope this helps.
Sunny