freewords
What percentage can an American understand the British English without any learning?
24 янв. 2012 г., 16:13
13
0
English speakers can all understand one another, even the Australians.
24 января 2012 г.
Generally 100% for educated people, maybe less so for those not well schooled or living in a bubble. Of course, just like with any language, there are regional and international variations in the language that is used, but just remember that English is English. Of course, you can find people anywhere who speak badly and use excessive slang. These people can be very hard to understand even for people living in the same town. At the end of the day though, we all speak the same language - English!
24 января 2012 г.
Just to reverse your question I would say that English people normally understand 100% of American English used in everyday conversation.
24 января 2012 г.
I'm going to say....98%. I've never had any trouble figuring out what they are trying to say -- the only difficulties I ever have are with British slang, which can be markedly different than American slang. Also, speaking is much more difficult than reading, because accent becomes a factor. I agree with Carissa, though - it depends on the American and how high their vocabulary is in the first place. Almost every "English word" has found its way into American text at some point.
24 января 2012 г.
It depends on the background of the American. My family reads a lot and has a larger vocabulary then most Americans. So I think I would understand 90% of the British English. The average American nowadays grow up in public schools and with horrible circumstances in there family. So they don't read much, they speak mostly slang and they would probably understand only 50% of British English. I hope this helps.
24 января 2012 г.
freewords
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese