Margo
이 글에서 나온 문법을 이해하려고 조금 도와 주세요 ^^ Hello, I need help to understand grammar in this passage. I understand the overall meaning, but sometime I don't understand WHY it is written the way it is. 한 해를 시작하는 설날, 떡국을 먹는 것은 한 살 더 먹는다는 상징으로 전해져 온다. 화려하지 않은 하얀 색상의 정갈한 가래떡은 새로운 시작이라는 경건함,길게 쭉 뽑은 모양사는 재산이 늘어나라는 의미다. 당시 엽전의 모양처럼 둥글게 썬 것은 그해에 재물이 쌓이기를 기원하는 것이었다. 설날 아침에 떡국을 먹으면 머리가 아프지 않게 된다는 속설이 있다. 1.한 해를 시작하는 설날, 떡국을 먹는 것은 한 살 더 먹는다는 상징으로 전해져 온다. "The day of 설날 that begins new year and eating 떡국 are said to be the symbols of getting one year older."? -What does 한 해 mean in this case? New Year? -How 전해져 온다 can be translated into English? I think I understand the meaning, but I'm not sure how it can be written in English. 2. 화려하지 않은 하얀 색상의 정갈한 가래떡은 새로운 시작이라는 경건함,길게 쭉 뽑은 모양사는 재산이 늘어나라는 의미다. "Not special-looking white and clean colour of 가래떡 means the new beginning of devotion 경건함(?), while long shape of a rice cake addition of fortune." This sentence is the most confusing. 1. What is 경건함? 2.What does 쭉 mean? 3.Why is it written as 늘어나라는 instead of 늘어난다는 의미? 당시 엽전의 모양처럼 둥글게 썬 것은 그해에 재물이 쌓이기를 기원하는 것이었다. 1.Before, making pieces of rice in the form of a coin was a way of asking for fortune in that year. -Not exactly sure if I correctly understand meaning of 기원하다,because in the dictionary it says "to pray", but one of my friends said in this context it's more "to ask" rather than "pray". The last sentence I fully understand. ^^ Please help me if you can. TT
2012年1月25日 05:28
6
0
1.한 해를 시작하는 설날, 떡국을 먹는 것은 한 살 더 먹는다는 상징으로 전해져 온다. "The day of 설날 that begins new year and eating 떡국 are said to be the symbols of getting one year older."? More correctly, it means; On the day of 설날 that begins a new year, eating 떡국 is said to be the symbol of getting one year older. -What does 한 해 mean in this case? New Year? 한 해 meas one year. 한 means one as in 한 사람 (one person). -How 전해져 온다 can be translated into English? I think I understand the meaning, but I'm not sure how it can be written in English. be passed down for generations 2. 화려하지 않은 하얀 색상의 정갈한 가래떡은 새로운 시작이라는 경건함,길게 쭉 뽑은 모양사는 재산이 늘어나라는 의미다. "Not special-looking white and clean colour of 가래떡 means the new beginning of devotion 경건함(?), while long shape of a rice cake addition of fortune." This sentence is the most confusing. 1. What is 경건함? It means being respectful, restrained and serious. You may not find an exactly corresponding English word because most similar English words like piety, devotion or reverence imply something religious. But the Korean word, 경건 has no any religious nuance in it. 2.What does 쭉 mean? 쭉 describes the shape which is not cut off but continued in a line. 3.Why is it written as 늘어나라는 instead of 늘어난다는 의미? ~라 is an imperative ending particle but logically, you cannot order fortune to increase, so "늘어나라" contains the speaker's wish for fortune to be increased. 당시 엽전의 모양처럼 둥글게 썬 것은 그해에 재물이 쌓이기를 기원하는 것이었다. 1.Before, making pieces of rice in the form of a coin was a way of asking for fortune in that year. -Not exactly sure if I correctly understand meaning of 기원하다,because in the dictionary it says "to pray", but one of my friends said in this context it's more "to ask" rather than "pray". 기 in 기원 means pray and 원 means want. In general, it means strongly wish sth rather than ask for sth.
2012年1月25日
1. '한 해' : it is not different from what you said ealier. But, it only doesn't mean 'new year', you can say "한 해 is over". '한 해' means one year. 2-1. 경건 : em.. This word is also not easy to many koreans :). it comes from classical chinese. It is wrriten in korean, although, its meaning is not korean word exactly. 경건 is a kind of attitude. when you are in a ceremony in memory of sb or praying God for forgiveness, you need to have piety. 2-2. 쭉 : this is very easy :). it can be used like that "you have been studying good, 쭉(=for long time" or "you can make something long from some materials". 쭉 = it basically means 'long' for time, distance, length. 2-3 Why is it written as 늘어나라는 instead of 늘어난다는 의미? - Not much different from 늘어난다. it is similar with meaning of passive in english. I think I can give you some examples for your easy understanding. you can say like -'I hope my height 늘어나라 like growth of my hair a day. - I want my money to grow without any efforts(it depends on luck or sb's help) => 나는 나의 돈이 늘어나길 바란다. 3. em.. your friend is... korean? I think it's not :p, if so, you don't need to post here :). it is close more 'to wish, to hope'. you can also use it as meaning of 'to pray'(but, not clear 'to whom', it can be anything, god, the sea, the sky,,) - I hope that everything is going to be okay. => 나는 모든 것이 잘되기를 기원한다. sorry for my poor english :p very hard to explain in english hehe. I hope you understand that I''ve wrriten above. 나는 당신이 좋은 한 해를 보내길 기원합니다.. (= I hope you have a good year ) 한 해 plus 기원 This is the frist time that I've participated here and wrriten for someone. :)...poor english..haha..
2012年1月25日
Margo
English, Korean, Russian
Korean