Michael Zhang
i am a little confused about this, who can help me ? thanks Chickens and other animals were sacrificed and their intestines poked to find signs indicating rain or drought. I saw this scentence in my text book, i think it's a wrong question, i think it should plus the word "were" before the word "poked". 因为我觉得前面用的被动,后面也应该用被动。is my thought right or wrong? please explain for me. thank you very much!
2
1
It's a correct sentence... you are right to imagine "were" before "poked", but it is not necessary to rewrite the action (were) if you have already mentioned it, and the action stays the same. So a second "were" becomes redundant. "Animals were sacrificed. Their intestines were poked." => "Animals were sacrificed and their intestines poked." The result is smoother and easier to read.
In this sentence the writer could say both ''were sacrificed" and ''were poked" but one of the characteristics of the English language, unlike Chinese, is avoiding repetition, especially the repetition of words in the same sentence. This sentence is a good example of that characteristic.
Michael Zhang
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese