Minsung Kim
Could you tell me what it means I found out the following sentence when reading an article. 1) The corrupt president stepped down for contravening the non-political nature of the presidency. In this sentence, I cannot understand "non-political nature" exactly. At first time I met this term, I thought that "non-political nature" is related to some kind of obligations that higher offier should be neutral in dealing with political matters. Am I right? or does it have another meaning? It would be very thankful for me if you explained it in detail and with usage. (one more thing) this question is indifferent from what mentioned above. 2) She was released from prison in a cloak-and-dagger operation. this sentence(2) means that "she is cast behind the prison because of her behaviors" or "she was released from prison with the help of those measures"? which one is correct? (or have another meaning?) thanks.
2
0
1) The sentence implies the office of president was in this case "non-political", if it would be possible for such a position to be so. Anyway, the president failed to conform to that obligation. We are left to guess whether the nature of the president's corruption is connected to this failure to conform. 2) The expression "cloak and dagger" suggests secret activity, maybe spying or espionage. She was freed from prison as a result of such a secret operation.
She was released from prison secretly.
Minsung Kim
English, German, Japanese, Korean
German, Japanese