OneOfCoolGuys
How do you know the Pronunciation of a Strange English Word? If you see a word that you've never seen before, so how do you know its pronunciation?
11
0
That is a very good question. Knowing how to pronounce English words is very difficult at times, even for me and I am English, there are only 2 ways that I know of, you can either; read many tables in books about when English words change sounds, or learn like I did, and watch thousands of videos and copy, copy, copy - Or if like me, you have difficulty sometimes, look it up on the internet and click on an audio sample or see the phonetic guidance in the dictionary. No one that I know, learned how to speak English from books, we all copied from what we heard and saw. Going from Chinese to English is admirable, and I commend you for your success thus far.
google translator.it helps not only translate the words but also listen the pronouciation of words
There're couple of ways you can try. If someone is listening to you, pause and ask this someone how. Or only for understanding's sake, spell it eg "I don't know how I'm supposed to pronounce A, B, R, A, C, A, D, A, B, R, A..." and then keep the rest of the sentence going. Use synonyms instead, if you know what it means. There're "rules" when you get to be familiar enough with the language, but not always so reliable---Mike likes Nike. So what's relatively reliable for now for you, is as other answerers have forgot to mention above but you sure heard of, the soundmarks, aka, yin biao. Yes, Mr. CoolGuy, yin biao could really be our friend. But merely that isn't enough. Try talking to natives more often. Things like stress, schwa, liaison, colloquial pronunciation change, so forth are also needed to pay attention to. I was gonna say at first that the reason I found this question interesting this time is because I liked your awesome haircut. How did you do that?
You need a dictionary.
i face that also and it is too difficult to know how to pronounce every word. but i use a concise dictionary on my mobile which shows the phonetic of the word u can find such application on mobile9.com
OneOfCoolGuys
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Taiwanese), English
Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Taiwanese), English