Elife
what does this sentence exactly mean ? I didn't want to say nothing. For me, this is a form of double negative , it means "I want to say something". but it sounds not correct through the context. Can somebody tell me the exact meaning of it ?
3
0
It's an informal way of saying "I didn't want to say anything". I don't know its history, but it seems quite popular in informal speeches.
Hi there , well if you think it doesn't sound correct with the context , then you must also provide us with this context . The sentence seems to mean that I had to keep quiet even if I actually wanted to say something , the double negative here is to focus on the negation that I didn't want to keep quiet , rather than just saying I wanted to say something. hope it will help , native speakers may provide more info !
Your interpretation is correct. In English, a double negative is not good grammar. Probably someone meant to say "I didn't want to say anything".
Elife