Diamond
What does it mean? 'On the boat, I am going to meet a beautiful girl, and I am going to fall in love.' I read the sentence in a textbook and I want to know the function of 'I am going to' here. Is it used to express intention? Does this mean the writer decided to fall in love?Thank you all!
5
0
It probably means that the writer wants very much to fall in love and will do everything possible to make it happen. It could refer to intention or expectation. In this case it refers to an intention, because the speaker doesn't know the girl he is going to fall in love with. "I'm going to meet a girl" might mean expectation - you can plan to meet someone. "I'm going to meet a girl and fall in love with her." means intent - this is what he wants to do. Unless of course he has arranged to meet a girl and they both plan to fall in love - not likely.
"On the boat, I am going to meet a beautiful girl, and I am going to fall in love." Oh, so romantic! Two forms used for simple future (to express future plans or to make predictions): 1. I WILL meet a beautiful girl. (activity thought about at time of speaking) 2. I AM GOING TO MEET a beautiful girl. (activity planned or talked about earlier) MORE EXAMPLES (planned activities): I am going to play tennis tomorrow. (It's on my calendar. I reserved the court last week.) I am going to see Tom later. (I talked to him this morning. We agreed to meet at 3:00 p.m.) I am going to make more coffee. (Earlier I saw the pot was empty. Who drank the last cup anyway?)
"I am going to ..." means almost exactly the same thing as "I will ...". There is a subtle difference. Both refer to an action in the future that is definitely intended or planned, but "I am going to..." is used when there is already some action towards it happening, or it is being done very soon. "I am going to go to the store" is like "I am preparing to leave" or "I am leaving right now or soon." "I will go to the store" is like "I plan (intend) to go to the store." The two are so similar that many people use either of them to mean the same thing.
It means the same as "will". Whether it is an intention or a hope, only the writer knows for certain.
Yes it does mean that.
Diamond
Arabic, English, French