Sergio-Brasil
How to use can and cannot in many situations? How I can describe the following situation below. Sometimes I see some situation like this, eg. someone ask for another person if he can do some thing for it . there are 3 situation: -The person don't have permissions to do it. -The person don't have ability to do it or because it's very dificulty to do with the resources avaliable at the moment present. -The person is unable to do it because your health problem These are the questions: Robert asked Max if he could catch a fruit on the top of the tree for him, but there 3 situation The Max's father don't let him to do it. Max don't have skills to climb the tree . Max is sick, so he can't climb the tree. I just know can or can't, there are another way to answer these questions above, what would be?
6
0
Hi, you can use "cannot" or "can't" to describe all three of these situations. "Can" and "can't" have many different meanings. These include: 1. permission ("Can I go to the movies tonight, Dad?" "No, you can't.") 2. ability ("Can you speak French?" "Yes, I can. Bonjour!") 3. possibility ("What can you do for fun in New York?" "You can go shopping, you can go to a museum, or you can go to Central Park.") Also, "can't" means something is logically impossible. "She can't be sick. She's dancing!" BUT you cannot use "can" in this way. "Jane didn't come to work today. She MIGHT / MAY be sick." (NOT "can") I hope this helps! There is a lot to learn about words such as can, should, may, might, would, etc.
Robert asked Max if he could REACH a fruit FROM the top of the tree for him, but there ARE three situationS. The Max's father Won't let him do it. Max doESn't have THE skill to climb the tree . Max is sick, so he can't climb the tree. Max's father does not permit/allow/let him do it. Max is not able to climb the tree. Max is not capable of climbing the tree. Max doesn't have the skill to climb tree. Max is sick, he can't climb the tree.
You can say this, (The, you don't need "the" when you have a proper noun, in this case Max) Max's father won't let him. or Max's father will not let him. Max does not (or doesn't) have the skills to climb the tree. Your last sentence seems fine. Max is sick, so he can't climb the tree. You can also use cannot. Max is sick, so he cannot climb the tree.
Many thanks Ryan, I really apreciated your help.
Sergio-Brasil
English, Portuguese