Peter Dechi
I can't say "people(or somebody) are easy to…" In a book,author says you cannot say"In winter,people are easy to catch cold",because there's no a form that"somebody is easy to …",Is the author right?Only can I say "it is easy for people to catch cold in winter"? So,those sentences are not right or are strange?: Aggressivepeople are easyto spot because they have instantly ... There are ten high risk groups ofpeoplewho areeasyto get Hypertension
30. Jan 2012 20:51
3
0
Peachy and Anna are right! "In winter, people are easy to catch cold" is wrong. "There are ten high risk groups of people who are easy to get hypertension" is also wrong. You can say: * In winter, people catch colds easily. * In winter, people ARE LIKELY TO catch colds. The difference between "are easy to" and "are likely to" seems small, but it is important! You can say "People are easy to ..." but the verb that follows is an action that people RECEIVE. For example: She's a very friendly person. She's easy to like. This DOESN'T mean that she likes others easily. It means that it is easy for other people to like her. Hope this helps!
30. Januar 2012
The author is correct. :) I found the places where you took the quotes, so I'll explain each of them. "Aggressive people are easy to spot because they have instantly recognisable wide faces, researchers claim." (telegraph.co.uk) Note that the people mentioned here do not perform the action! In fact, we're dealing with a description here: "easy to spot", ie. easily identified. "There are ten high risk groups of people who are easy to get Hypertension" (kidneycn.com) This is a Chinese webpage... the writer has made a clumsy mistake. A proper sentence would be "There are ten high-risk groups of people who are susceptible to hypertension"(description), or "There are ten high-risk groups of people who would easily get hypertension"("easily get" - adverb & verb). I hope that's a bit clearer...
30. Januar 2012
You can only say "it is easy for people to... ". there's no form like "people are easy to". These sentences are a bit strange, I think.
30. Januar 2012
Peter Dechi
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Other), English, French, Spanish
English, French, Spanish