Peter Dechi
Any following sentence is wrong or strange?They all wanna express the same meaning. Any following sentence is wrong or strange?They all wanna express the same meaning. Series one: 1.Garbage is a wrongly placed resource. 2.Rubbish is a misplaced resource 3.Garbage is a resource that is put in the wrong place 4.Dirt is said to be matter in wrong place. Series two: 1.In winter,people tend to catch cold. 2.In winter,people are tending to catch cold. 3.In winter,people are apt to catch cold. 4.In winter,people are liable to catch cold. Any sounds strange?Which are they?I wonder whether this book is worthy reading,those sentences are given by the author that he think are very good.But I doubt him,he is a Chinese anyway.Should I abandon this book?but the author says Dirt is said to be matter in wrong place is what he picked up from existing English sentences,and the rest sentences should be made by himself.Make no sense?surprising.(BTW,what's different between existing and existent?)should I abandon this book?
31 de Jan de 2012 às 07:23
1
0
Hi! I think they differ a bit in meaning.. I see it as this: 1st series: 1.Garbage is a wrongly placed resource. = Some garbage is not placed where it should be. (Because of the use of wrongly). 2.Rubbish is a misplaced resource. = Rubbish is a resource we can use for much more than to just trash it. I think this one sounds ok. 3.Garbage is a resource that is put in the wrong place = Basically the same as the 1st one. 4.Dirt is said to be matter in wrong place.= This doesn't entirely make sense to me. Dirt would not be in the same "category" as rubbish/garbage, but more "dirt" on the ground/in the house/dirty clothes/etc.. While the other senteces are statements, this one implies more "rumour" (is said to be...). 2nd: 1.In winter,people tend to catch A cold. = Sounds ok in my opinion, meaning in the winter time, most people can usually catch a cold. 2.In winter,people are tending to catch A cold. = "Are tending" is the present progressive tense. That doesn't add up with the 'in winter', which refers to _all_ winters in general, not this particular, right now. 3.In winter,people are apt to catch A cold. = This sounds so-so to me, not too bad. Meaning people are more prone to get a cold in the winter(which does make sense). 4.In winter,people are liable to catch A cold. = Same as the 3rd one; at risk or likely to catch a cold. Hope this helped! :)
31 de Janeiro de 2012
Peter Dechi
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Other), English, French, Spanish
English, French, Spanish