Joanna
There is an apple and two Pears. There is an apple and two Pears. Why use "is", not "are" here?
2 lut 2012 02:37
6
0
There's an apple and (there are) two pears. The second "there are" has been omitted.
2 lutego 2012
Strictly speaking, if you are in a grammar class, you will say, "There is an apple and there are two pears." Or like fdmaxey and Allen put it above. In conversational or even business written, it is perfectly alright to say "There is an apple and two pears." You are, basically, not mentioning some words. Put it another way, if there were two apples and three pears you will say, "There are two apples and three pears," even though you are saying it the same way. Haha... lots of differences between what is grammatically correct and how you can also say it in real life based on the culture. Cheers!
2 lutego 2012
I totally agree with fdmaxey. To me, the right answer is "are". However, you will see or hear this sentence sometimes with "is". The only way I can get to "is" and feel okay, is to think of the apple and two pears as a set or a group, AND to believe there are words intentionally missing. There is {a group consisting of} an apple and two pears. This is a bit strange, but I believe it is why some people use "is"; they think of the apple and two pears as a group and therefore a singular item for which "is" is the correct form of "to be". HOWEVER, without the words noted in the brackets above, this is ODD!
2 lutego 2012
Tricky question. I myself would use 'are'. With 'there' and 'here', the subject comes AFTER the verb. So if I switch the subject(s) around, I get: An apple and two pears ARE.... Put that way, I think 'are' is correct. Anybody else?
2 lutego 2012
To answer your question: 'Why use 'is' and not 'are' in this simple sentence- Because the apple is 'singular'. (and by the way, thank you for your consideration and kind words!) =o)
14 marca 2012
Joanna
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English
Chinese (Cantonese), English