Meerstern
Is this sentence correct? The moment the amalgam filling left my mouth it transmuted to hazardous waste, only permitted to drive on public streets by a special hazardous material transport carrier. I want to express that the dental filling was as long as it remained in my mouth recommended dental material. Afterwards, it was hazardous wast. The filling material transformed as the frog transformed into a prince (only the other way around).
4
0
"Transform" is better to use there. If I were writing this sentence, I'd like it this way: The moment the amalgam filling left my mouth it [was] transformed into hazardous waste, only legal on public streets when contained in a hazardous waste container. In any case, we don't say that a filling would "drive on public streets." You can make it work, like I did, without using any verb there. And if I were more educated in the terminology surrounding hazardous waste disposal, I might be able to improve on the term at the end of the sentence. Also, when you add the preposition "into" (instead of "in") after the verb you choose, it has the effect of emphasizing that a change or transformation occurred. Other options you could use in place of "transform," which is the one I like best, are: The moment the amalgam filling left my mouth it: was converted into hazardous waste metamorphosed into hazardous waste changed into hazardous waste became hazardous waste turned into hazardous waste mutated into hazardous waste
Thats just really awkward. A more natural way to express that: The moment the amalgam filing was out of my mouth, it became hazardous waste. It is only allowed on public streets by a hazardous waste transport carrier. As long as it's in my mouth, it's okay, but when it comes out, its hazardous. Crazy!
Meerstern
English, German