Psguy
Question about "kind of" Here is an example: "What kind of price do you expect the finished product to cost?" in this case, does "kind of" mean "rather" ? what does it exactly mean? I can't figure it out myself. please help.
5
0
It means what will the price be approximately ?, similar is to ask for" a ball park figure," its not exact, but it gives an indication of the expected cost
Here the word "kind" mean "type". 种。Do not be confused by the expression "kind of", which means "slightly" or "somewhat".
We make arbitrary judgement of small numbers, expected numbers, and large numbers. Since the question is about a price, we can discuss small prices, like the cost of food; medium prices, like the cost of a computer; high prices, like the cost of a car, and these are kinds of price. There is no need to have strict definition, or any definition. When I say "what kind of price can we expect?" It says "How much is the price?" When I know that, I know if the price is too expensive, too cheap, or the number I expected.
It's an odd question. He's really asking if the price will be too high or not. It's a subtle way of getting the seller to give a lower price.
Psguy
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English