Fenton Benton 麻雀虽小,五脏俱全!
Do these two exactly the same?thanks when it comes to this matter, you might not know much about it... -let me fill you in first... -let me set the scene for you first... Can you say it another way?
4
0
They don't mean the same. Actually, the difference is rather obvious -let me fill you in first...= give you the missing information -let me set the scene for you first...= start at the beginning If the missing information is the beginning, then the two will practically mean the same.
"Let me fill you in first." Let me update you. Okay, this is what's happening right now (since you haven't been around recently). "Let me set the scene for you first." People don't say this very often. If you're a storyteller or an actor, you might begin with this statement to prep the audience that you are going to "paint a picture" with words of where the story is taking place or what is happening at the moment. Then the audience members can imagine they are there or understand what is taking place at the moment they come into the story.
you say let me fill you in first when you want to provide information about something (example: I used to be best friends with this person, but we haven't talked for a very long time. He was always a very nice person, but didn't talk that much) before saying what you want to say. let me set the scene for you first doesn't get used that often. it's less general. you say it when you want to describe a scene (example: we were in a restaurant, and it was very quiet because nobody was there) there's other ways to say it, but these phrases don't get used often. Most of the time, if people want to provide background information, they will just start off saying it directly. these phrases will get used sometimes when strangers who are in a professional setting (like a job interview) are talking to each other.
Fenton Benton 麻雀虽小,五脏俱全!