nozturk
"If I knew then what I know now, I would never got married." Is it OK? Or what would you say?
5
0
If I knew then what I know now, I would never have married. or: If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have ever married. [Fenton Benton makes a good point] - grammatically correct:] If I had known then what I know now, I would never have married [You would more probably hear the first two, even though they are less correct.]
....I would never have got/gotten married.
The issue with your sentence is that when you use "would" as a past statement with a qualifier, it would need a "have" with it. My sentence above uses 'would' without 'have.' Yet it is in the present. If it had been in the past, then it would 'have' needed have (like this sentence.) Their is another issue. The word 'got' will be removed from anyone who corrects you. It is a very relaxed word. It fits the mood of the sentence. Someone who says this sentence probably would be a depressed or upset person who would not be concerned with grammar at that moment. But because you are looking for help with the sentence, you must remove the word.
You can say: if i knew it would be this way, i guess i would never got married.
nozturk
English, Turkish